In-App Resources and Cloud Resources
Each application has in its dashboard a Resource Manager. The Resource Manager includes all the application files like images, icons, pages, media files, etc. The resources of an App divide into 2 types: In-App Resources and Cloud Resources.
1. In-App Resources are bundled (hosted) in the app itself. This means that they can work in offline and online mode in the same time.
a) This is a small preview of the selected file.
b) Files can be uploaded either by pressing the "Upload" button or by drag over.
c) You can restrict the files appearance by "all" , "images only" "audio files only" and "video files only". Also there is a search option.
d) The files can be sorted by: Name, Type(Kind), Size and Date Modified. Also there is a "Sync" box for each file. You may enable Synchronization for each file. See the tutorial about the Sync process and how it works here
e) Each file can be force reloaded (refreshed), downloaded, duplicated, renamed or deleted.
f) Search on Google for images (jpeg, png or gif) and add to App's resources.
g). Right click on a file to download, duplicate, rename, delete or Toggle sync (enable sync)
2. Cloud Resources was created in order to decrease the size of an application. We all want to have applications which do not have big sizes. You may avoid this now by hosting the application resources on our server. The end user may anytime download the resources (Audio, Video, PDF, Images, etc) from our server directly on his device and they will work in offline mode. The user may also anytime delete the resources from the device.
The Cloud Resources window looks very similar to the In-App Resources one but it works different and also has a few additional options.
The additional options are:
a) Folder. You may create folders by "right click" > New Folder. Add files in the created folders and sub-folders.
b) Convert to HTTP Live Streaming. This is a streaming format created by Apple and is only for iOS platform. You may convert any media files (audio or video) into HTTP Live Streaming.
How Cloud Resources work ?
Cloud Resources (Hosted Resources) can be enabled for any native page type we have (pages that use images, audio, video or PDF files). This can be done from App Dashboard > Page Settings > Hosted Resources
For each page you may add files that will be downloaded automatically on the device once the page is opened in the app. You may add unlimited files. The maximum file size per file for Hosted Resources is 400 MB.
Once Hosted Resources is enabled and files are added for a page, you need to select which file will show up on the device. You may do that from the edit mode of the page (App Dashboard > Edit Pages > select the page and click edit). In the edit mode(for almost each page) there are file picker fields.
You may select a file from In-App Resources or Cloud Resources.
In this example I will select the file "sample.pdf" from Cloud Resources. Note that you need to enable Hosted Resources for the mentioned page in Pages Settings > Hosted Resources which I have done above.
Let's see how Hosted Resources work on a device: Once the PDF Reader page is opened in the app (PDF Reader page is just an example. Feel free to use any page type), the PDF file will be automatically downloaded on the device.
If Hosted Resources is enabled then once the page is opened for the first time there will be a splash screen showing the downloading process of the file(s). If In-App resources is used, then the file will show up instantly.
* If the same file or files with the same names are uploaded in In-App Resources and Hosted Resources, priority will have the ones from In-App Resources. Make sure to use different file name for each type of resources.
* The file types supported in the Resource Manager are:
.htm,.html,.css,.js,.png,.jpeg,.jpg,.gif,.wav,.epub,.mp3,.mov,.mp4, .wav,.avi,.m4a,.3gp,.ogg,.strings,.pdf,.xml,.plist,.mobilep rovision,.cer,.txt,.zip,.json,.ttf
* The characters supported for file names uploaded in the Resource Manager are: English letters and characters, + '-‘ , '_’ , '.’ ,’@' , '~' .
* Platforms supported: iOS, Android and Kindle.
* Cloud Resources is available only for the users who have an active subscription or pre-paid plan